Desserts always give the tough competition to the diet of even the strongest people! The high calorie, rich-in-sugar foods might be dear to the heart but take a toll on the health. Too much sugar in one’s diet can cause several diseases from diabetes to cholesterol. There are many harmful effects of artificial sweeteners. So, how can one deal with the sweet cravings without the guilt?
The answer is delicious and sweeter than refined sugar, DATES! The sticky dried fruit is sweet and a perfect alternative to sugar.
Here are a few reasons why you should be substituting sugar with dates:
- They promote bone health with their high magnesium levels
- It also aids digestion and prevent abdominal cancer
- The natural sugars in dates are an instant source of energy
NOTES ON THESE RAW HEALTHY DATE BROWNIES:
- Use about a teaspoon of water for these, but it will depend on how dry your dates are. Add as needed. The mixture will be crumbly but should stick to itself when it’s ready if you press it between your fingers.
- Pack these into a small 3″ x 5.75” bread pan that’s lined with cling wrap to get them pressed together. You could use just half of a side of a regular bread pan or another small container.
- You can also double the recipe and make it in a regular bread pan or quadruple the recipe and use an 8×8 pan.
- These are ready to go immediately – they hold together well enough that you can slice it right away. However, if I’ve got the time, I like to stick them in the fridge to get them to firm up a bit more.
- We either make 4 large or 8 small brownie bites from this recipe. The big ones are good as an energy bar substitute while the small ones are great for a quick snack or school lunch extra.